Monday, August 15, 2016

"Hello Song" flags and stand



Hello, I welcome you today to this post!  
 Here is not a new idea for the
 but this is my take on it.

I have done the idea with flags from different countries for years. The gist of it is that you have different ways to say 'hello' in different languages.  Each flag represents their country and when the visitor chooses a flag, you sing that way in place of the 'hellos' in the song.
I recently decided to buy better quality flags and then I started thinking... I need something to display them.  The display stands online were too expensive, so I dug around the house and came up with a few pieces of wood and some tools, then got to work... 
This is how I made mine:

 I found the semi-circle piece of wood and then cut a board to match the same length of the base.  Then I drilled holes and drove screws to attach the wood together.


 Next I measured where I wanted to put the holes for the flags.  I ended up with 18 flags, but if I were to do it all again, I would get an odd number... it just looks more eye pleasing.  So instead I have one empty hole that I will need to fill with another flag someday. :)


 Next came the staining.  I used "Dark Walnut"... one of my favs...


 After the stain dried I cut vinyl lettering.  I used the vinyl as a stencil and painted these words onto the stand.


 For each flag I printed a label which then I wrapped around the flags' poles.  I reinforced the labels with clear packing tape so they won't peel off easily.
Here is a list of the countries and "hello" from each:



Australia
good day (mate)

France
bonjour 
(bohn-zhoor)

Brazil
bom dia 
(bohn DEE-ah)

Germany
guten tag 
(gootan tag)

Israel
shalom 
(shuh-lohm)

Mexico
hola  
(OH-lah)

Denmark
hej 
 (Hey)

South Korea
anyoung 
(ahn-YUNG)

Sweden
god dag 
 (goo dahg)
Finland
päivää  
(PIE-vah)
Belgium
hoi
(hoy)

Netherlands
hallo  
(ha-lo)

China
ni hao  
(Nee HaOW)
United States
hello/howdy/aloha

Czech Republic
dobrý den 
(dob-ree den)

Kenya
Jambo 
(jam-bo)

Japan
konichi wa
(Koh-NEE-cheewah)
India
namaste
(nuh-must-stay)




 And here is the finished product!  
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

3 comments:

  1. I get so tired of that song. This is a fun way to change it up.Thanks for your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you purchase your flags?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried to find the website I bought them from but I haven't been able to locate the receipt... :( I know they cost me about $2 each and that I was able to pick and choose which ones I wanted. Sorry I can't be of more help...

      Delete